Tuesday 11 November 2008

11-11 salute

Today is 90 years since the end of the first world war, so the media keeps reminding me. My parents lived through that war but I lived though the second. Luckily I did not lose anybody close nor was I bombed out. I was machine gunned.
However I will dedicated my blog today to two Canadians that my family had made friends with. They turned up one night in their tank outside our house and were on their way, we later realised, to the Normandy beaches. They had stopped by to bring me, an eight year old, some chocolate.
We never heard from them again and may or may not have survived. I have never forgotten that they could bother about one small child at such a time. I salute them now.

1 comment:

geraldgee said...

Hi Julie,We also had Canadian soldiers visit during WW2. My father being a soldier in the first one kept an open house for them right throughout the war.