Friday 27 February 2009

Snow in 1947

Just watched the programme about the snow storm this year. It had a bit about previous storms and confirmed my memories of them particularly the 1947 storms. It was in the time of housing shortage just after the war and my dad and I couldn't find anywhere to live having been chucked out of our digs (rented rooms) for some reason. Dad had a small, old white tent and with an added ground sheet over the top which we lived in over that winter. I tell everybody that it snowed most nights for weeks (which was true) and in the morning we had to get out and sweep the snow off of the roof before we lit the paraffin stoves. If you didn't the water came through the roof. It was so cold that you woke up with hoar frost around the blankets where you had been breathing all night.

It left me with a life long fear of being homeless again.

No comments: