Monday 9 August 2010

Singing Wires

Today we were bowling along our local bit of the moteway and the air passing over the roof rack of our car reminded me of the noise one used to hear in telegraph wires. A soft moaning whine that rose and fell with the wind passing though the banks of wires. Today there are no more than two or three wires and mostly just one. But the old telegraph posts held multi wires.

I particularly remember them during the war when, with my mother, we were sent to Devon for a rest from the bombing. There was nothing to do in the daytime except go for walks. Many lanes had telegraph wires running beside them and in that very cold winter the wind howled enlessly.  I loved the singing wires although I was only four years old I can still remember and hear them.

No comments: