Monday 18 May 2015

In Starting Again


I have to say again that this is not a journal or a diary. My idea was to notice something that reminds me of a past memory. I'm now entering my 9th decade so with 8 to play with I have plenty to choose from. Born in1935, dare I say it, the same year as the King of Rock and Roll, I have lived through a war, a cold war and now a war on terror. All of them except the first nominally named Peace Time. Some hopes, somebody has always been fighting somewhere.
Today I have been musing on this and my other blog, History for 2525, on the changes that there have been in my life since I last wrote here. One, my husband has now retired and, bless him, is home with me all day. He is quite a bit younger than me so I have had some retirement on my own doing my own thing. No more. I have also gone back to real painting, watercolour and pen &ink, as versus digital virtual painting. I now work on an iPad, don't think I had it before, so time is limited. Plus I am doing lots of online university courses at Futurelearn.com. Can't recommend them highly enough. All to keep this old brain working.
This is all so different to old age as I observed in my youth. A few, very few, managed to keep lively and life expectancy was far less. Only my mother manage what is now considered almost normal and died aged 93 but father popped off at 77. My grand parents were in their 50s. So that is back to being born late 1800s. My great Grandmother, so I'm told, came downstairs on her 30th birthday with a black shawl over her head and announced she was 'now old'. Me, I remarried in my 30s.  Still going 44 year later.
I can't recall people talking about dementia, strokes or many other illnesses such as cancer. Now its pushed at one everywhere you go. Well I'm fighting it all the way. Though have to admit my short term memory is shot. So I am off and running again, I will write here when some memory hits me.

No comments: