Saturday 27 December 2008

Christmas trees remembered

Better write something Christmassy. Looking at Christmas trees for sale it reminded me of a time just after the war ended. Scarcity was the name of the game especially, for us, of money. We lived in an area of Scots pine and silver birch trees so dad and I went out and , do no do this, pulled up a self-seeded seedling pine tree. It stood about a foot high. We potted it up in something, I can’t remember what, and decorated it with coloured wools and sweet wrappers.

During the war decorations were hard to come by and I remember we found loads of silver foil the Germans dropped to try and fool the radar. I seem to remember we children called it radar but I may be wrong about that. Anyway everybody brought it home and decorated our Christmas trees with the strips. We all went around saying
‘Nice of the Germans to give us our tree decorations’.

No comments: