Friday 12 December 2008

Mike Hawthorn

When ever I see something about F1 drivers of the past I have to remember the time I met Mike Hawthorn, the driver who tragically died young in a car crash not on the track. I lived in a YWCA hostel and boyfriends were allowed into the sitting room to wait until their girlfriend was ready to go out. One of my friends, renown for having loads of boyfriends, asked me to go down and keep a ‘Mike’ happy while he was waiting.

I was a naive fifteen year old girl and I had no idea what to say to him but my friend was insistent so I went down as he was an important boyfriend. When I opened the door there was a handsome blond man whom I recognized as Mike Hawthorn! Of course I froze and he was very kind to a tongue tied teenager. I cannot remember what we talked about but later my friend said he was most amused at my attempts to entertain him.It would be like walking into a room today and finding Lewis Hamilton there.

No comments: