Tuesday 2 February 2010

Third Day in Bed

I am on me third day in bed where I have my own notebook computer rather than our joint main computer downstairs - and time to write. I had promised myself that I would write more come the new year. Now truly the new year and I have not written one word - till now.
This morning I have got to grips with my Twitter account - still can't work it all out. I have started to follow Stephen Nolan of 5live as he has weight problems like me and he is, like me, trying to get exercising. (I have just bought a motorized treadmill) and is going to do the six mile Sports Relief run. So with my husband and friends so am I BUT I am going to walk it. (Doctors say running is too high impact for my new knee joints.) So if any one wants to sponsor me let me know.

I quite often walk six miles so not too worried, I did a 3 mile walk for cancer research a couple of years ago and could easily have gone round twice, waking not really a problem but running is no longer an option.

As this blog is supposed to come under 'that reminds me'. What does all this take me back to? Being a PTI in the WRAF in the 50s. Probably the source of all my knee trouble now. I wasn't any good at long distance stuff but was a sprinter. We did a hundred yards in those days, not metres. I did hurdles and long jump as well. Never all that good but got to Command level once or twice. To diffused, I think, as I also played tennis, and swam freestroke. But as a PTI one had to be able to do everything and teach it. The one thing I hated was doing and teaching PT to the girls yet in later years, in my 40s, it stood me in good stead as I managed to earn my living by running aerobic classes for a year or so. I had moved to Devon and in London I had just seen the first mass aerobic classes in sports centres. I adapted it and ran 3 or 4 classes for over a year - which really finished of my knee joints good and proper.

Than I got fat with lack of exercise and knees collapsed entirely. New joints over three years and now - I am going to walk the six miles - when my damned cold gives over!!

No comments: